Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Rapha Festive 500 Recap

I had intended to provide a day-by-day account of the Rapha Festive 500, but then I realized that would be pretty boring (for me and for those who read this blog).  Now that it is over, I wish I had better documented this effort.

The timing for the Festive 500 could not have been better.  I had time in my training schedule to do some longer rides and we (Tulsa, OK) had fantastic weather this past week.  I started out strong the first two days but then took Sunday and Monday off for family Christmas-time activities.  My family is pretty understanding of my need to ride but my legs were so tired after riding several hundred kilometers the previous two days that I welcomed the break.

Since I had to go back to work on Tuesday, I commuted every day and tried to log some extra kilometers on the way home.  Commuting to and from work by bike is something I used to do all the time; however, I was letting the weather and lack of sunlight be an excuse to drive - instead of ride - to work.  The Rapha Festive 500 reminded me that commuting to work is an excellent way to get some training in, save some money, and mentally prepare yourself for the upcoming day.

On the last possible day I logged my final 67 km to complete the goal.  I had some help along the way and they deserve some thanks.  Thanks to my teammates and riders of other teams who also participated in the Festive 500 for keeping me motivated and for joining me on several of these rides.  Thanks to my coach for working with my training schedule to allow me to participate in the Festive 500 (although he probably thinks it means 500 miles instead of kilometers).  Most importantly, thanks to my wife for pushing me out the door to make sure I got my kilometers in and for being understanding of the time commitments to meet this goal.

For everyone that took on the Rapha Festive 500, I offer my congratulations.  I tip my drink to you and I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment